Newsletter March 2014
Cudeca Cup has had to change dates! Mark your calendars for Sunday May 18th. This popular event is an individual Stableford competition for the benefit of Cudeca. We will have a light lunch after the competition, prize giving, and an auction so invite your friends to join in or if they are not golfers, invite them to the lunch and auction! Besides the auction, you can also buy raffle tickets, sponsor a hole, or donate your spare change that has been accumulating in that jar at home!
It was another dominant performance by the Rest-of-the-World team in the annual England vs ROW, winning their second consecutive and 5 of 8 competitions! The tapas on the terrace were excellent and good fun was had by all.
The Ladies Social Day continues to be a popular event each month. In February, there was excellent supporting weather – a very warm and sunny day with little wind or rain!
A team and individual event was held with the winners in the following order:
- Nearest-To-Pin Winner: Ritva Hägglund who just beat Sonya by the smallest of margins, she is forever doing this!! Sneaking in at the last!
- Birdie Winners: Ritva Hägglund, Ria Van Wershoven, Lotta Syversen and Hazel Gilchrist
- Team (AM AM) winners: Val Wicks, Cathy Gulya and Karen O’Connor
- Individual Stableford winner: Lotta Syversen
Well done to all the ladies that took part!
The Ladies Social Golf day is now being organized by a volunteer each month and next will be Hazel Gilchrist. The March the 27th event has a sign-up sheet on the notice board so sign-up and join in the fun. We very much look forward to seeing all you ladies at our next meeting.
We have a new head Green Keeper, Rafael Linares. He has been working hard to improve the courses and prepare them for the hot summer weather. The greens have been spiked to break up the soil under the blades of grass. And by using the roller and verticutting, the goal is to get a more firm and consistent surface. They have also been spiking the fairways and fringes to get more oxygen to the grass. And many of you may have noticed the efforts to clean up and cut back bushes around the courses to open up the driving landing areas, the first part of a long term plan.
Rules: There is nothing more frustrating than ruining a good round by making a scorecard error, particularly if these lead to disqualification. There have been a few incidents in La Cala competitions in recent months and it may be timely to remind members of the players responsibilities in terms of scorecard completion.
Scorecard procedures are covered within the Rules of Golf and a players responsibilities are:
- Include name and handicap on card
- Complete the correct gross score for each hole
- Sign the card and ensure it is signed by marker
- Return the card to the competition box or organiser immediately after completion of round
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in disqualification! To assist the competition organiser please ensure all gross scores recorded are clear and legible.
It is not essential to:
- Record the markers score (although advisable)
- Initial any changes to the card
- Record correct net or points scores
On Wednesday 19th March, Connie Maphar, Sonya Foster, Carol Rees and Jenny Chesterton travelled to Sevilla in preparation for the annual Circuito Femenino Competition run by the Spanish Golf Federation.
First there was a practice round of golf and then a practice round of drinks, as evidenced in the photo! Well it’s one way of warming up for the competition!
An early start, with just a quick cup of coffee and a slice of toast, then onto the first tee. Connie lead the La Cala Ladies Team from the front with Sonya playing second, followed by Carol and last but not least Jenny. All guns blazing we battled into the distance! About 4 and a half hours later we all gathered at the starters hut to discuss the game. Another hour later (no… only kidding) we decided that it is a fantastic course but very long with very well protected greens by bunkers and water.
So the discussion was “how many ball’s did you lose?” and “weren’t those bunkers a pain!” and most of all “those par four’s – there’s no way you can get on in two!”
Over all the results were:
- Connie 28 points (Not bad, but must try harder)!
- Sonya 28 points (humm, thought I would be friendly with Connie, but must try harder)!
- Carol 33 points (Well done Carol)
- Jenny 30 points (Well done Jenny)
However, after all was said and done we did very well and are lying in 6th place out of a field of 17 – Not bad hey!
Our next venture in the Circuito is in April and we are going to Guadalmina. So wish us luck and we will try to do our best!
What’s happening with the Golf Academy? The Academy have a new ball machine and washer and card system installed. Clean balls! Make sure to bring your members card to get your discounts. Stop by for a lesson or to see what’s new! And if you haven’t heard, the Store has moved to the Golf Academy from the Halfway House. There are now several vending machines for those desperate for snacks where the Halfway House and Store used to be.
Stableford League results are now being posted on the notice board. Some members have played in 12 Stableford competitions already and the scores are significantly better than in previous years. Maybe due to the new sloping, or is everyone just playing better?
The road to La Mairena is being paved! Thanks to La Cala for funding this effort! During the day (8 to 6) for the next several weeks you may not be able to get through, so if you can, plan to go around through La Cala. The work is going well and we expect to be driving on smooth pavement by the middle of May.
We have a sign-up sheet on the Notice Board for a Members Mixed Away Day at Alcaidesa on August 14th. This was a very popular event last year, so if you would like to go, get your name down on the list soon. We have a great deal for golf with buggy, lunch, and return bus for 60 euros per person.
We are coming up on another Knock-out deadline at the end of March for Ladies Singles, Ladies Doubles, and Men’s Doubles.
- April 3rd: Ladies Friendly at El Chaparral (return match at La Cala on May 19th) sign-up on the Notice Board.
- April 10th: Men’s Away day at Valle Romano sign-up on the Notice Board or contact Alan for details
- April 12th: El Corte Ingles Trophy at La Cala – Men’s and Ladies winners qualify for Finals!
- April 13th: St. George vs Dragons at the club on Sunday with tapas after golf
- April 20th: Easter Rainbow Texas Scramble
- May 7th & 8th: Lady Captain’s Away trip
- May 14th & 15th: Men’s Captain’s Away trip to Almenara – sign-up on the Notice Board or contact Alan for details
- May 18th: 20th Annual Cudeca Cup